NZ 356-413 County Durham England
Ludworth Tower is an early 15th century rectangular tower house, founded by Thomas Holden. In 1422, Cardinal Langley, Bishop of Durham granted him a Durham Palatinate licence to enclose, fortify and crenellate his manor of Ludworth. Over the remains of a tunnel vaulted basement, are two fragments of the three storey west wall, with various window openings, fragments of fireplaces and a first floor spiral staircase. The south and east walls collapsed in the late 19th century and are now grass covered banks and foundations, the pele was once encased by a rectangular bank and ditch. 6 miles west is Durham Castle and 14 miles south-east at Hartlepool is Sandwell Gate.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved