NZ 274-424 County Durham England
Durham Castle is a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded in 1072 by Waltheof, earl of Northumberland. In the 12th century, Bishop Ranulph Flambard founded the stone castle and over the centuries, the Bishops of Durham transformed it into an impressive episcopal palace. The large motte supports an irregular octagonal keep, which was rebuilt by Anthony Salvin in 1840, on its 14th century foundations. To the west, the triangular bailey contains an imposing range of lodgings, chapels and halls. On the western edge of the city, is the battle site of Neville's Cross. 6 miles east is Ludworth Tower and 7 miles north is Lumley Castle.
Durham Castle is located in the city centre, off Palace Green. 16 miles south of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A1-A690.
The site is owned by The University of Durham and is open daily by guided tours, afternoons in term-time and mornings, with some afternoons in vacation periods. For wedding receptions and bed and breakfast accommodation, check website for details.
There are car parks nearby.