Vicars Pele Corbridge
NY 988-644 Northumberland England
Vicars Pele is an early 14th century stone rectangular vicar's tower house, possibly founded by the lords of Warkworth. Standing in St Andrews churchyard and built of reused stone from Corstopitum Roman camp, it was probably built as a defended stronghold against attacks from Scottish raiders. Its three storeys are crowned by a parapet walk, with fragments of crenellations and corner bartizans, with pairs of corbelled machicolations. A ground-floor barrel-vaulted chamber, with an eastern pointed-arched entrance doorway and drawbar tunnel, has an old door of oak boards bolted into an iron grille. In use as a vicarage until the early 17th century, it was then abandoned and ruined until 1910 when it was restored and re-roofed, by the Duke of Northumberland. Nearby is Low Hall and a mile south-west in the grounds of Dilston College is Dilston Castle.