Corby Castle Great Corby
NY 471-542 Cumbria England
Corby Castle was originally a 13th century stone tower house, which was granted to Sir Richard de Salkeld in 1323. The manor was sold to Lord William Howard in 1611 and he added a two-storey L-shaped house to the original pele tower in 1630. Other alterations were made in the late 17th century and the façade was added, by Peter Nicholson for Henry Howard in 1812-17. The castle still incorporates many internal 17th century structural features and probably the original staircase of the tower. Reputedly haunted by a ghost known as The Radiant Boy, an apparition of a boy wearing white with shining golden hair. 6 miles west is Carlisle Castle and 9 miles north-east is Naworth Castle.
Corby Castle is located on the east bank of the River Eden, south of Great Corby. 6 miles east of Carlisle, on the A69.
The site is visible from the public footpath, on the west bank of the Eden river. Car parking is by the side of the road at Wetheral church.
Car parking is by the side of the road at Wetheral church.