NY 265-598 Cumbria England
Drumburgh Castle was originally a 13th century stone hall, built of red sandstone taken from Hadrian's Wall. The house was possibly built within a Roman fort and stands opposite one of the fords across the Solway Firth. After abandoning Beaumont Motte, Richard le Brun fortified Drombogh in 1307 when he was given a Royal licence to crenellate his dwelling house by King Edward II. In 1518 Thomas Lord Dacre made alterations to the four storey tower house, incorporating his initials and coat of arms over the first floor entrance. Further alterations were made between 1678 and 1681 by John Aglionby and in the 19th century a single storey stable was added. Below a parapet with carved stone eagle finials, are 16th century stone steps leading to a iron-studded oak plank door, dated 1681. In the late 1970's the western end wall was completely rebuilt in facsimile to three storeys, after being in danger of collapsing. A mile north-west at Glasson is Barracks House and 4 miles east at Burgh by Sands is the Church of St Michael.