NY 348-593 Cumbria England
Beaumont Motte is a 12th century earthwork motte, probably founded by the le Brun family. The low oval mound stands on a high point overlooking the River Eden and to the north-east is Castle Green, the site of a possible bailey. The late 12th century Church of St Mary, now crowns the motte and below are the buried foundations of a turf section of Hadrian's Wall and angle turret 70a. In 1296 Sir Elias de Thirwall was rector of church and by 1306 Richard le Brun, lord of Beaumont had moved to Drumburgh Castle, abandoning the timber fortress. A mile west at Burgh by Sands is the Church of St Michael and 4 miles south-east is Carlisle Castle.