Bondgate Tower Alnwick
NU 184-134 Northumberland England
Bondgate Tower is a 15th century stone three storey gatehouse, founded by Earl of Northumberland. In 1434, King Henry V granted a licence to crenellate a wall around Alnwick, which took over fifty years to complete. To the fore and flanked by two polygonal towers, is a central vehicular archway, with the eroded outlines of the Percy Lion above. Also known as Hotspur Gate, it was originally one of four gates, in the medieval town wall. Nearby is Alnwick Castle and 6 miles south-west is Edlingham Castle.
Bondgate Tower is located in Alnwick, off Bondgate Within. 39 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A1-A1068.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There are car parks nearby.