NU 116-092 Northumberland England
Edlingham Castle was possibly a 13th century earth and timber moated manor house, founded by Thomas de Edlingham. In 1295, William Felton purchased the manor and started its fortification, when adding a stone rectangular two storey hall house, flanked by octagonal turrets on the angles. Encased by an earth and timber rampart, in the mid 14th century the northern cobbled courtyard became a walled quadrangular court. With lodgings on the east and a kitchen range to the north, the stone curtain wall is flanked to the fore by a central gatehouse and later barbican. Standing adjacent to the earlier hall and connected by a forebuilding, the square three storey solar tower was added in the mid to late 14th century. Purchased by the Swinburnes in 1514, they rebuilt the courtyard buildings but in the mid 17th century the castle was abandoned and the courtyard dismantled. The north and west walls of the tower survive almost to their full height and on the angles are stepped diagonal buttresses, originally crowned by a circular bartizan. Nearby is the Church of St John the Baptist and 6 miles north-east is Alnwick Castle.
Edlingham Castle is located in the village centre, off the B6341. 32 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A1-A697.
The site is in the care of English Heritage and is freely accessible in daylight hours. There is a car park.
There is a car park.