Waterhead Bastle Tarset
NY 767-901 Northumberland England
Waterhead Bastle was a rectangular mid 16th century stone two storey defensible farmhouse. 'Waterheyd' was listed in the Order of the Day Watch for North Tynedale in 1552 and its earthwork mound was rediscovered lying south-east of a 19th century cottage. The lower part of the south-east gable wall, is part of a later field boundary and the only feature is a central ventilation slit. In 1583 'Water head' was raided by the Scottish Armstrong family and deserted by the mid 19th century. The thick walls of roughly squared large stone blocks, laid irregularly, provided first floor living accommodation and ground floor shelter for their livestock. Occupied by middle-rank farmers, clusters of bastles could give support from cross-border reivers. Half a mile north-west is Shilla Hill Bastle and half a mile south-east is Hill House Bastle.