Hill House Bastle Tarset
NY 771-898 Northumberland England
Hill House Bastle was a rectangular early to mid 16th century stone two storey defensible farmhouse. Standing on a low promontory that commands the Tarset Burn valley, Haugh-Hill House was mentioned in 1552, raided in 1583 by the Scottish Armstrong family and held by John Hunter in the mid 17th century. Probably deserted by the late 18th century, the bastle with four, less substantial ancillary buildings, of similar or later date are visible as grass covered walls. The farmstead stands within of a large rectangular enclosure, which is encased by a bank of stone and earth, with traces of a large ditch. The thick walls of roughly squared large stone blocks, laid irregularly, provided first floor living accommodation and ground floor shelter for their livestock. Occupied by middle-rank farmers, clusters of bastles could give support from cross-border reivers. Half a mile north-west is Waterhead Bastle and half a mile north-east is Black Middens Bastle.