NY 042-436 Northumberland England
Haggerston Castle was originally a 13th century fortified manor house, founded by John de Hagardestun. In 1345 Robert de Hagerston, was granted a licence to crenellate and he founded the stone castle, when adding a strong, square tower. In 1618, a fire destroyed part of the castle and in the 18th century, the tower was absorbed in the construction of a mansion. Rebuilt in the late 19th century, with a very tall, narrow tower, the house was demolished in 1931. Leaving the mock L-plan tower to dominate a holiday park. 3 miles north-west is Church of St Anne and 8 miles south-east is Belford Castle.
Haggerston Castle is located in the Haggerston Castle Holiday Park, off the A1. 6 miles south of Berwick Upon Tweed, on the A1.
A guided tour gives access to the park and the tower.
There is a car park.