NU 257-218 Northumberland England
Dunstanburgh Castle is a stone enclosure fortress, which was founded in March 1313 by Earl Thomas of Lancaster. Standing with the sea cliff on two sides, the castle was originally encased by outer defences of three mere's, the Great Ditch and three gatehouses. The high curtain wall, is flanked by rectangular towers and turrets and a twin towered gatehouse, which once faced an impressive harbour. The earl was executed following the defeat of his rebellion in 1322 and the castle eventually passed to John of Gaunt who founded the keep and courtyard fortress. He converted the gatehouse into a three storey keep, defended by a small inner bailey and added a new northern entrance, protected by a barbican. During the Wars of the Roses, the castle was besieged twice and captured by Yorkist forces and in the late 17th century, parts of the defences were demolished. 2 miles north-west is Embleton Vicarage and 2 miles south is Craster Tower.
Dunstanburgh Castle is located on the headland, 1½ miles north of Craster. 35 miles south of Berwick-upon-Tweed on the A1-B1339.
The site is managed by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm October 10:00-4:00pm, Saturday and Sunday November to March 10:00-4:00pm.
Car parking is in Craster village, with an easy coastal walk to the castle.