NU 251-196 Northumberland England
Craster Tower is a rectangular late 14th century stone tower house, founded by Sir Edmund Crawcestre. Originally of four storeys, with a barrel vaulted basement, the pele was in the Border strongholds list of 1415. In the 1670s on the site of the original hall, Edmund Craster added the east wing, which was given an extra storey and widened with a two storey addition, in the 19th century. In the late 18th century, George Craster added the Georgian south wing and the middle floor of the tower was heightened, reducing the number storeys. The walls of the pele are now pierced by 'Strawberry Hill Gothic' windows and one blocked medieval loop. 7 miles south-west is Alnwick Castle and 2 north is Dunstanburgh Castle.
Craster Tower is located west of the village centre, off Windyside Hill. 7 miles north-east of Alnwick, on the B1340.
The site is privately owned and offers exclusive use of the entire top floor apartment, check website for details. There is a car park.
There is a car park.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved