NT 925-393 Northumberland England
Etal Castle was originally a 12th century fortified manor house, founded by the Manners family. In 1341 Robert de Manners, was granted a licence to crenellate and he founded a stone fortalice, with a rectangular tower house of four storeys and a forebuilding. Before 1368, John Manners founded the quadrangular castle, when strengthening the residential tower, with a curtain wall, two corner towers and a gatehouse. Flanking the angles of the south curtain wall, is a small corner tower, which stands to the height of its rib-vaulted first floor chamber and the two storey gatehouse, with a central rib-vaulted vehicular archway, which was flanked by two, three storey towers. 2 miles south-east is Ford Castle and 5 miles north-west is Twizel Castle.
Etal Castle is located in the village centre, off the B6354. 10 miles south-west of Berwick Upon Tweed, on the B6354.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to October 11:00-4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday November to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.