SD 991 520 Yorkshire England
Skipton Castle was originally a late 11th century earth and timber enclosure fortress, founded by Robert de Romille. In the 12th century, William le Fortibus founded the stone castle, which stands against the steep banks of the Eller Beck. From 1310, the Clifford family began to strengthen the castle, adding the huge drum towers to inner bailey and encasing the outer bailey with a curtain wall, flanked by bastions and a twin-towered gatehouse. The castle which suffered Civil War slighting in 1648, was restored in 1657-58 by the remarkable Lady Anne Clifford. 3 miles south is Farnhill Hall and 4 miles north is Norton Tower.
Skipton Castle is located in the town centre, off The Bailey. 18 miles north-west of Bradford, on the A650-A629.
The site is owned by the Clifford family and is open daily, March to September 10:00-6:00pm Sunday 12:00-6:00pm, October to February 10:00-4:00pm Sunday 12:00-4:00pm.
There are car parks nearby.
For more information go to its HomePage.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved