SD 976-570 Yorkshire England
Norton Tower could originally have been a simple gamekeepers lodge, given the rabbit warrens in the locality. In the 16th century, Richard Norton, of Rylstone Hall founded a fortified stone watch tower or hunting lodge on the site. The tower stands against a natural ridge and is defended on the east side by the remains of a ditch and a stone wall. In the remaining walls of the square tower, are a spiral stair, a fireplace and on the south wall, a drawbar slot defended by a fore building, which locates the original entrance. Sadly the tower was slighted in 1569, after the involvement of Richard Norton and his nine sons, in the Rising of the North. 4 miles south is Skipton Castle and 10 miles west is Hellifield Peel.
Norton Tower is located south of Rylstone, off the B6265. 4 miles north of Skipton, on the B6265.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.