SD 742-416 Lancashire England
Clitheroe Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Roger de Poitou. The top of an isolated semi-circular crag, was scraped to make a circular motte, with the remaining platform becoming a wedge-shaped bailey. In 1186, Robert de Lacy founded the stone castle, when adding a small two storey square keep, encased by a curtain wall. In the bailey, stood the chapel of St Michael and the curtain wall, with its wall-walk, was flanked by an eastern outer gatehouse. Slighted after the Civil War, the buildings in the bailey are all 19th century and sadly nothing remains, of the gatehouse, chapel and a ditched outer court. 4 miles south is Whalley Abbey and 9 miles north-east is Castle Haugh.
Clitheroe Castle is located in the town centre, off Castle Street. 10 miles north-east of Blackburn, on the A666-A671.
The site is owned by Ribble Valley Borough Council and is freely accessible in daylight hours. The Castle Museum is open daily, April to October 11:00-5:00pm, November to March 12:100-4:00pm.
There are car parks nearby.