SD 730-361 Lancashire England
Whalley Abbey is the late 13th century stone Cistercian abbey of St Mary the Virgin, founded by Henry de Lacy. In 1348, Abbas et Conventus de Whalleye, was granted a licence to crenellate the church and the close of the abbey, by King Edward III. The north precinct wall of the great court, is still flanked by round bastions and a fine 15th century stone two storey north-eastern inner gatehouse. To the north-west and standing to the height of its eaves, is a long 14th century stone two storey outer gatehouse, with a first floor chapel. In 1537 following his involvement in the 'Pilgrimage of Grace', Abbot John Paslew, was executed for treason in Whalley and the abbey dissolved. 4 miles north is Clitheroe Castle.
Whalley Abbey is located in the village centre, off The Sands. 6 miles north-east of Blackburn, on the A666.
The site belongs to the Diocese of Blackburn and the grounds are open daily, 10:00-4:30pm. The outer gatehouse, is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park.