ST 863-940 Gloucestershire England
Beverstone Castle was originally an early 13th century fortified stone manor house, founded by Maurice de Gaunt. Encased by a wide ditch, in 1229 King Henry III, granted him a Royal Pardon licence to crenellate Beverestan. In the early 14th century, Thomas, Lord Berkeley remodelled the castle, building a small quadrangular castle, with a two storey, twin-towered gatehouse. In 1664 during the Civil War, the castle was twice besieged, before being taken by the Parliamentarians. Only the west range and one D-shaped tower of the gatehouse now remain, with a late 18th century house standing on the site of the 13th century hall. The west range, which contained the solar above a vaulted undercroft, is flanked on the angles by square towers. The gatehouse had a large first floor chamber and the gate passage was defended by a portcullis. 3 miles west is Lasborough Castle and 13 miles east is Ashton Keynes Castle.