Castle Yard Fillongley
SP 280-868 Warwickshire England
Castle Yard is a 12th century earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by the Hastings family. In 1301, Johannes de Hastings founded the stone castle, when he was granted a license to crenellate. The substantial platform encased by a moat, supports the masonry fragments of a rectangular building and a southern courtyard defended by a rampart. The scattered stones and the remains of a circular staircase, may represent the remains of a hall-keep. Traces of paving and a well have been found and encased by the moat is a north-eastern triangular ward. The successor to Castle Hills Fillongley, 9 miles south-east is Caludon Castle.
Castle Yard is located in Fillongley, off Coventry Road. 6 miles north-west of Coventry, on the B4098.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.