Moreton Corbet Castle
SJ 561-231 Shropshire England
Moreton Corbet Castle was originally an 11th century timber manorial complex, founded by Toret family. In 1200, Bartholomew Toret founded the stone enclosure castle, when adding a three storey square keep and an east range to the triangular moated platform. In the mid 13th century, Richard Corbet encased the castle with a curtain wall, flanked by a two storey gatehouse. In the mid to late 16th century, the Corbet family remodelled the castle into Tudor manor house, with an Elizabethan mansion wing in Italianate style. Damaged during the Civil War, the buildings were later repaired and re-occupied but in the 18th century the castle was abandoned. 5 miles south-east is Ercall Hall.
Moreton Corbet Castle is located in the village centre, off Wem Road. 8 miles north-east of Shrewsbury on the A53-B5063.
The site is managed by English Heritage and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park.