SJ 594-174 Shropshire England
Ercall Hall is probably an early 12th century fortified moated manor house, founded by the de Ercalaw family. In the 13th century, John de Ercal encased the hall with a stone curtain wall, which was flanked by square towers on the angles and a gatehouse. In the late 16th century, the Newport family built the sandstone and brick L-shaped house, which now stands on the site. In 1608, Sir Francis Newport added a mansion house but sadly all that survives is a row of stone arches of a loggia. During the Civil War, a huge turfed bank was raised over the north and north-west curtain walls as a defensive platform, against cannon and musket fire. 5 miles north-west is Morton Corbet Castle and 8 miles south-west is Shrewsbury Castle.