SO 415-083 Monmouthshire Wales
Raglan Castle was originally a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William fitz Osborn. In the 13th and 14th century, the castle was held by the Bloet family and was an important manorial complex. In the 15th century, Sir William ap Thomas and his son William Herbert founded a stone palace-fortress, with an impressive self-contained keep and two large courtyards. In 1549-89 William Somerset, third earl of Worcester, transformed the two courtyards, to make them into a magnificent Elizabethan country house, complete with extensive gardens. Despite Civil War slighting, much of the hexagonal-shaped Great Tower, the massive Great Gatehouse and the superb suites of state apartments still survive. 4 miles north is Penrhos Castle and 6 miles south-west is Usk Castle.
Raglan Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Road. 8 miles south-west of Monmouth, on the A40.
The site is owned by Cadw and is open daily, July and August 9:30-6:00pm, March to June, September and October 9:30-5:00pm, November to February 10:00-4:00pm, Sunday 11:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.