SN 352-102 Carmarthenshire Wales
Llansteffan Castle was originally an early 12th century earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by the Norman invaders. Overlooking the Tyw estuary and built within an Iron Age promontory fort, its strong bank and ditch still defends the fore of the castle. In 1192, William de Camville, founded the stone castle, when encasing the oval ringwork with a curtain wall. In the early 13th century, a square gatehouse and a small round keep flanked the curtain wall of this upper ward. In the late 13th century, Geoffrey de Camville encased the lower ward with a curtain wall flanked with several towers and a huge twin-towered gatehouse. Jasper Tudor, earl of Pembroke blocked and converted the outer gatehouse into a private residence, after adding the adjacent late 15th century gatehouse. 5 miles north-east at Llangain is Castel Moel and 8 miles north-west is St Clears Castle.
Llansteffan Castle is located south of Llanstephan, off Church Road. 9 miles south-west of Carmarthen, on the B4312.
The site is owned by Cadw and is open daily, 10:00 to 4:00pm.
There is a car park in Llanstephan.