SM 982-015 Pembrokeshire Wales
Pembroke Castle was originally an 11th century earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by Earl Roger of Montgomery. In 1189, William Marshal, earl of Pembroke founded the stone castle, when adding the Great Tower and much of the Inner Ward. His five sons, enlarged and strengthened the castle and in the 13th century William de Valence, added the outer bailey curtain wall, flanked by huge round towers and a remarkable gatehouse. The castle is the birthplace of King Henry VII and nearby are the town wall and Barnard's Tower. 5 miles north-east is Carew Castle and 6 miles south-east is Manorbier Castle.
Pembroke Castle is located in the town centre, off Westgate Hill. 56 miles west of Swansea, on the M4-A48-A40-A477.
The site is managed by Pembroke Castle Trust and is open daily, April to August 9:30-6:00pm, March, September and October 10:00-5:00pm, November to February 10:00-4:00pm.
There are car parks nearby.