SJ 193-561 Denbighshire Wales
Tomen-y-faerdre is possibly an 11th century earth and timber motte, founded by the lords of Iâl. The natural limestone outcrop which forms the basis of the fortress, stands against a northerly bend of the River Alyn. On the sides away from the river, the crag was encased by a ditch with a counterscarped bank and its spoil was used to form the mound on this side. The fortification superseded Tomen-y-rhodwydd and in 1212 during his campaign against Llywelyn ap Iorwerth, it was strengthened by King John. An entry in the 1212-13 Pipe Roll, 'For iron mallets for breaking the rocks in the ditch of the castle of Yale' is thought to refer to this site. The position of the bailey has been lost and with the dense cover of trees, the site is best viewed in winter. 5 miles west is Ruthin Castle.