Southgate Arch Launceston
SX 332-845 Cornwall England
Southgate Arch is a 14th century three storey square stone gatehouse, with a large vehicular entrance. The gatehouse was originally one of three gates in the 13th century town wall, founded by Richard, earl of Cornwall. Now sadly hemmed in by other buildings, its two upper floors were remodelled in the 17th century, with the battlements and the pedestrian arch in the town wall being added, in 1887. Nearby is Launceston Castle.
Southgate Arch is located in the town centre, off Southgate Street. 25 miles north-west of Plymouth on the A38-A388.
The site incorporates an Art Gallery and is visible from the road.
There are car parks nearby.