SX 050-890 Cornwall England
Tintagel Castle is a spectacular 12th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by Reginald, earl of Cornwall. The mainland entrance is through the lower outer bailey, with its narrow entrance passage, gate tower, curtain wall and wide ditch, protected by the walled upper outer bailey. The inner bailey stands on the headland, which is now virtually an island, sadly the repeated rock-falls have only left us a 13th century curtain wall, a plain gateway and the ruinous 14th century hall block, founded by Richard, earl of Cornwall. When owned by the Black Prince, the castle was in use as a prison, before being abandoned by 1478. The interest in the Arthurian legend will always give Tintagel an air of mystery. A mile east is Bossiney Castle.
Tintagel Castle is located west of the village centre, at the top of Castle Road, where there is a steep climb of steps. 18 miles south-west of Bude, on the A39-B3263.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm, October 10:00-5:00pm, Saturday and Sunday November to March 10:00-4:00pm.
Car parking is in the village.