SU 889-215 Sussex England
Midhurst Castle was originally an Norman earth and timber ringwork fortress. In the 12th century, it was probably the Bohuns who founded the stone fortified manor house, encased by an oval curtain wall. The castle was probably occupied until 1280 and abandoned by the early 14th century, for a new manor house called la Coudraye. The foundations of a residential tower, a hall house, a chapel and a range of buildings remain and a small break in the curtain wall may indicate the site of the gateway.
Midhurst Castle is located in the village centre, on St Ann's Hill. 12 miles north of Chichester, on the A286.
The site is owned by Chichester District Council and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park nearby.