SX 921-929 Devon England
Exeter Castle is an earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded in 1068 by Baldwin de Meules. The entrance with its projecting barbican, is a late 11th century square three storey gatehouse, with above the gate-passage, chambers lit by unusual triangular-headed windows. Its strong earthworks and early 12th century curtain wall are flanked by square and round towers, which command the north-west corner of old town wall. Sadly in the 18th century, all the remaining medieval buildings inside the walls were levelled, to make way for the Georgian Assize County Courts. 8 miles south is Powderham Castle and 15 miles north is Tiverton Castle.
Exeter Castle is located in the city centre, in Northernhay Park. 79 miles south-west of Bristol, on the A369-M5-B3183.
The site is is visible from the park.
There are car parks in the city centre.