SX 583-942 Devon England
Okehampton Castle is a stone motte and bailey fortress, founded by Baldwin de Brionne. The Norman motte with its rock-cut ditch, supports an 11th century two storey square keep, to which a three storey rectangular block was added in the 14th century. The 12th century bailey is entered through inner and outer square gatehouses, with a narrow barbican passage in-between. Inside there are the remains of 14th century lodgings, kitchens, a chapel, a hall and a solar. To the west of the motte are earthworks, which are thought to represent the remains of an earlier bailey of similar construction to the motte. In 1539 the castle fell into decay, after King Henry VIII had Edward Courtenay executed for treason. 8 south-west is Lydford Castle and 19 miles south-west is Launceston Castle.
Okehampton Castle is located south of the town centre, off Castle Lane. 22 miles west of Exeter, on the A30-B3260.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, July and August 10:00-6:00pm, April to June, September and October 10:00-5:00pm.
There is a car park.