Bottereaux Castle Boscastle
SX 099-908 Cornwall England
Bottereaux Castle is a mid to late 12th century earth and timber ringwork, founded by the Bottreaux family. Standing at the end of a steeply sloping spur that overlooks a deep valley, the fortress presumably stood on the level ground now occupied by a cottage. The site was probably isolated from the high ground to the south by a ditch across the spur but its only trace is the name Fore Street. The surviving northern earthworks are obscure, the steep slopes of the spur have been scarped and now form a crescentic terrace. An inturned entrance cuts into the terrace and the evidence of scarping ends abruptly on the west and east sides of the spur. In 1478 William Worcester mentions Bottereaux only as a manor house and in 1602 Richard Carew, added that it was used as a prison. 3 miles south-west is Bossiney Castle and 16 miles east is Launceston Castle.
Bottereaux Castle is located in a public park in Boscastle, off the B1345. 14 miles south-west of Bude on the A39-B3263.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.