TQ 190-500 Surrey England
Betchworth Castle was originally an 11th century earthwork fortress, founded by Richard fitz Gilbert. In 1377, Sir John Fitzalan, Marshal of England, founded the stone castle when he was granted a license to crenellate. Standing against an escarpment overlooking the River Mole, are the ruinous remains of a medieval fortified house, which received major mid 15th century alterations. In 1791 William Fenwick, demolished the south western end and turned the remainder into a sandstone and brick country residence. In the 19th century, masonry was removed from the house, with the foundations of the south western end, surviving largely below ground. 5 miles east is Reigate Castle and 6 miles south-west is Abinger Motte.
Betchworth Castle is located in Betchworth Park Golf Course, off Castle Gardens. 5 miles west of Reigate, on the A25.
The site is owned by Mole Valley District Council and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.