SU 725-519 Hampshire England
Odiham Castle was originally an early 13th century stone fortified hunting lodge, founded by King John. Built in 1207, a square inner platform encased by a moat, supported a rampart and the 'domus regis' or king's house. The siege and capture of the castle in 1216, by Prince Louis of France, led to the destruction of most of the early buildings. After its recapture in 1217, a great three storey octagonal keep, encased by a circular moat was constructed. Built of flint walls with stone dressings, it stands in the center of the inner ward, which was also defended by a 14th century palisade and ditch. By the 15th century, the inner moat had been in-filled and the castle in use as a hunting lodge again. To the south-east, is a rectangular outer ward, encased by a moat but sadly its been bisected by the canal. 6 miles west at Old Basing is Olivers Battery and 9 miles south-east at Crondall is Powder Castle.
Odiham Castle is located west of North Warnborough, off Mill Lane. 10 miles east of Basingstoke, on the A30-A287.
The site is owned by Hampshire County Council and is freely accessible from the north towpath of the Basingstoke Canal.
Car parking is by the side of the road, in Mill Lane.