Wolvesey Castle Winchester
SU 485-291 Hampshire England
Wolvesey Castle was originally a large, early 12th century stone hall block, with a three storey tower, founded by Bishop William Giffard. Standing in the south-east angle of the Roman walled town of Venta Belgarum, only the ruins of its northern end remain. From 1129 Bishop Henry of Blois added new buildings, first was the east hall block, then a keep, a defensive tower and two gatehouses. By 1170 the palace encased by a moat, was arranged around an inner courtyard and what now survives were largely founded by Bishop Henry. Various repairs and alterations to the buildings, were carried out by successive bishops of Winchester, until a baroque house was built in the late 17th century to replace the old palace. Nearby is the remaining wing of the baroque house and it is still the private home of the bishop of Winchester.
Wolvesey Castle is located in Winchester, off College Street. 12 miles north of Southampton on the A33-M3.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to October 10:00-5:00pm.
There are a car parks nearby.