Old Sarum Bishops Palace
SU 136-327 Wiltshire England
Old Sarum Bishops Palace is a 12th century fortified bishop's palace, founded by Roger of Salisbury. Constructed between 1102-39, the palace comprised of four ranges, enclosing a courtyard and possibly replaced an earlier timber aisled hall. Situated in the lower bailey of the castle, it stood in the western ward, to the north-east of the cathedral. The position of the close eventually caused conflict between the soldiers and ecclesiastical authorities, which led to the removal of the cathedral to Salisbury, in 1220. The site of the palace is between the cloister and the outer curtain wall but sadly nothing remains above the ground.
Old Sarum Bishops Palace is located north of Salisbury, off Castle Road. 25 miles north-west of Southampton, on the M27-A36.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, July and August 9:00-6:00pm, April to June and September 10:00-5:00pm, October to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.