TQ 523-635 Kent England
Shoreham Castle is a medieval fortified manorial complex, founded on lands granted to Bishop Odo of Bayeux. In 1307 the stone castle passed to Hugo de Poyntz, who held it under the archbishop of Canterbury. There are references of a 15th century ownership dispute and that the castle had a moat fed by the River Darenth. Sadly by the 16th century the castle was in ruins and no trace of the moat can now be found. An irregular-shaped timber-framed 16th to 17th century farmhouse of three builds, incorporates a chunk of flint walling of exceptional thickness which narrows and curves round, from south to east. Also surviving to the east are two massive fragments of flint walling but the extent or layout of the castle has never been resolved. The site was the manor of Lulling stone-castle until 1715, when Percival Hart transferred the title to his manor house at Lullingstone Park. 7 miles south is Knole.