HomePage Path
Eltham Palace
TQ 424-740 Greater London England

Eltham PalaceEltham Palace was a originally an 11th century manor house, founded by the de Clare family. In 1295, Anthony Bek, Bishop of Durham transformed the site when fortifying his moated bishop's palace, with an encasing curtain wall, flanked by octagonal corner and intermediate towers. In 1305, the palace passed to Edward, Prince of Wales and was then used as a royal residence for the next 300 years. In the 17th century, the palace fell into disrepair and was badly damaged during the Civil War but in 1933 it was incorporated into Eltham Hall, a country house founded by Stephen Courtauld. Built for King Edward IV and encased by a late 15th or early 16th century stone and brick curtain wall, is the impressive Great Hall of 1480, with its hammerbeam-type roof. Crossing the wide moat, are two late 15th or early 16th century bridges, with the northern bridge giving access to a late 14th century outer court. 8 miles north-west is the Tower of London and 10 miles south-east is Eynsford Castle.


Street Map

Eltham Palace is located in Eltham, off Court Yard. 9 miles south-east of London, on the A2-A20.

The site is owned by English Heritage and is open Sunday to Wednesday, April to October 10:00-5:00pm, November and December 10:00-4:00pm, Sunday February to March 10:00-4:00pm. November 2013 to March 2014, grounds open on Sundays, house closed for conservation repairs.

There is a car park.


Eltham Palace pictures and large castle map
Eltham Palace Picture 1Eltham Palace Picture 2Eltham Palace Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved