TQ 228-632 Surrey England
Nonsuch Palace was a dazzling Tudor fortified 16th century brick and stone hunting lodge, founded by King Henry VIII. In April 1538, this early Renaissance palace completely swept away, the village of Cuddington with its church and manor house. Still unfinished by 1556, Henry Fitzalan, 12th earl of Arundel, completed the multi-storied palace, of two wards, fortified by turreted gatehouses. From the north, guests would enter the outer court and then through the smaller inner gatehouse, by a flight of eight steps. In the inner court, the panels of the first floor walls, were emblazoned by life-size stucco figures of gods and goddesses, moulded in high relief. In 1670, King Charles II gave the palace to his favourite mistress, Barbara Villiers, countess of Castlemaine, who had it demolished in 1682-3, to cover her gambling debts. Sadly the only thing that now indicates the of position the Royal Palace, are undulations in the ground and 3 concrete pillars. 6 miles north-west is Hampton Court Palace and 7 miles west is Wayneflete's Tower.
Nonsuch Palace is located in Nonsuch Park, Ewell off London Road. 12 miles south-west of London, on the A24.
The site is freely accessible in daylight hours, check website for details.
There is a car park.