NY 156-729 Dumfriesshire Scotland
Hoddom Castle is a mid 16th century stone L-plan tower house, founded by Sir John Maxwell of Terregles. Probably incorporating 15th century work, it was of four storeys and a garret. The tower flanked the northern angle of a square walled and moated courtyard, which had two storey round towers flanking the other angles. In 1570, the castle was captured and 'thrown down' by the English but little damaged was done. When it was acquired by Sir Richard Murray in 1626, he remodelled the tower and added another two storeys to the stair wing. In the 19th century, the Brook family absorbed the castle in the construction of a Scottish Baronial mansion, which was demolished in the 1965. Built in tandem with Repentance Tower, which is sited to the south on Trailtrow Hill. Visit pending. 5 miles south-east is Mote of Annan.
Hoddom Castle is located in Hoddom Castle Caravan Park, off the B725. 5 miles north-west of Annan, on the B723.
The tower is uninhabited and access is restricted to people staying in the surrounding caravan park.
There is a car park.