Old Buittle Tower
NX 818-616 Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland
Old Buittle Tower was originally a late 16th century stone rectangular tower house, founded by the Black Douglases. In the early 17th century, Maxwell, the Earl of Morton added the wing and founded the L-plan tower house. The original entrance to the first floor hall was retained, with an upper corbelled-out stair-turret in the re-entrant angle. The vaulted basement in the main block was a kitchen and a store room, which is now reached by a later doorway. The house was abandoned in 1724, burnt out by a fire in 1740 and by 1790 it was a roofless ruin. By 1830 it was reinhabited and in 1881 the owners decided to let the property to a tenant farmer but not before demolishing the turrets and changing the interior plan, as they considered these too grand for a farmhouse. The courtyard which stands in the medieval Royal Burgh of Botel, retains its medieval laigh hall and a period kitchen but its 16th century gatehouse, encasing walls and angle towers have gone. The site was originally the inner bailey of Buittle Castle, which was captured from the English, in March 1313 by King Robert Bruce.
Old Buittle Tower is located west of Dalbeattie, off the A745. 14 miles south-west of Dumfries, on the A711.
The site is owned by Jeffrey and Janet Burn. The Borderers carry out a programme of living history events, which are held at weekends from Easter to December, at intervals of approximately six weeks.
There is a car park.