HomePage Path
Newark Castle
NT 421-294 Selkirkshire Scotland

Newark Castle Newark Castle is a 15th century stone keep and courtyard fortress, founded by Archibald, earl of Douglas. The castle replaced an 'auld wark' which stood to the east but its site is lost in the designed landscape of Bowhill House. Sited on a knoll, the massive rectangular tower house is of five storeys and a garret, with a corbelled-out parapet and two 16th century, two storey caphouses on opposing angles. It stands in the centre of a large 16th century quadrangular barmkin, which probably encased the entire summit of the knoll when first built. The enclosure is defended by numerous late 15th or early 16th century gunloops and was flanked by a gatehouse and small rectangular towers. In 1455, the castle was kept by the Crown after Black Douglases downfall and in 1473 it was given to Margaret of Denmark, wife of King James III. It was besieged by English forces under Lord Gray of Wilton in 1547 and burnt the following year, in 1650 it fell to the New Model Army of Oliver Cromwell. Later used as a hunting lodge, in the mid 18th century, the accessible facing stone, which was roughly repaired in the 19th century, was removed from the unroofed tower. 3 miles south is Aikwood Tower and 4 miles east is Selkirk Castle.


Street Map

Newark Castle is located in the grounds of Bowhill House, off the A708. 4 miles west of Selkirk, on the A699-A708.

The site is owned by the Buccleuch Heritage Trust and the castle must be viewed from the road. Bowhill Country Estate is open daily July and August, weekends and bank holidays April, May and June 10:00-5:00pm. Outside these periods the Country Estate is open for access only.

There is a car park.


Newark Castle pictures and large castle map
Newark Castle Picture 1Newark Castle Picture 2Newark Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved