NT 379-250 Selkirkshire Scotland
Kirkhope Tower is an early rectangular 16th century stone tower house, founded by the Scotts of Harden. In 1543 the 'villainous tower of Kirkhopp' was burnt by the Armstrongs but in the late 16th century it was rebuilt by Wat Scott of Harden. Of four storeys and a garret within a corbelled-out parapet, a rectangular bartizan and a caphouse crown opposing angles. There are two entrances in the south wall, situated one above the other, the later ground entrance leads to the vaulted basement. The hall is on the first floor and a turnpike stair leads to the upper floors but strangely there are no gun-loops in any of the walls. The existing barmkin wall and the remains of outbuildings that abut the outside of the wall, are later in date. Abandoned in the mid 19th century, the tower was a roofless ruin when in 1996, it was restored back into a dwelling house. 4 miles east is Aikwood Tower and 9 miles west is Dryhope Tower.