Culzean Castle Coif
NS 233-103 Ayrshire Scotland
Culzean Castle was first known as Coif Castle and could be the original 12th century stronghold, founded the Kennedys. There was a tower house here in the 15th century and in 1569, Sir Thomas Kennedy began enlarging the house, when he was given the estate by his brother the 4th Earl of Cassillis. He founded a three storey L-plan tower house, with a vaulted basement, a first floor great hall, with small private rooms above. Occupying a strong position on a sheer coastal cliff, a steep valley and escarpments defends the landward side and once there was a passage to the fortified caves, at the high water mark. In 1775, the architect Robert Adam absorbed the tower house, in the construction of a grand baronial mansion, built for David, 10th Earl of Cassilis. 6 miles north is Dunure Castle.
Culzean Castle is located west of Maybole, off the A719. 11 miles south-west of Ayr, on the B7024-A719.
There is a car park.