NR 933-507 Ayrshire Scotland
Lochranza Castle was originally a late 13th or early 14th century defensible stone rectangular two storey hall house, founded by the MacSweens. Held by the Campbells in 1315, the hall stands on a curved shingle spit that projects into Loch Ranza. During the 1490s, King James IV used the castle as a base to attack the MacDonald Lord of the Isles. In the 16th century the hall was remodelled and heightened into a L-plan tower house. The main block is of three storeys and an attic and its southern five storey wing, was crowned by a watch-tower. Leading to a turnpike stair, the ground floor entrance is protected by a machicolation and a bartizan at parapet level. Occupied by the troops of King James VI in 1614 and Cromwell in the 1650s, it was sold to the Hamiltons in 1705 but was ruinous by the end of the century. 13 miles south-east is Brodick Castle.
Lochranza Castle is located on the Isle of Arran, in Lochranza off the A841. 14 miles north-west of Brodick, on the A841.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily in the summer, the outside is freely accessible in daylight hours. There is a car park.
There is a car park.