HomePage Path
Tantallon Castle
NT 596-850 East Lothian Scotland

Tantallon Castle Tantallon Castle is a mid 14th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by William Douglas. Standing on a promontory, with a high cliff edge overlooking the Firth of Forth and Bass Rock Castle, there are formidable defences along the landward approach. The great red sandstone curtain wall, with its three towers and a wide, deep ditch to the fore, still stands remarkably entire. This castle of the Red Douglasses, earls of Angus endured great sieges against King James IV in 1491 and King James V in 1528. In the early 16th century, the six storey keep-gatehouse was strengthen with gun-ports and its wall chambers were filled in, the outer gate was also protected by a two storey gun-tower. But in 1651 when the Royalist Alexander Seton, Viscount of Kingston held Tantallon with 91 moss troopers, Cromwell sent his commander in Scotland, General Monck to lay a siege. His artillery mounted on adjacent promontories, caused overwhelming destruction to the end towers and after 12 days, this mighty medieval fortress had to be surrendered and left in ruins. Nearby is Auldhame and 3 miles west is Castle Hill.


Street Map

Tantallon Castle is located east of Castleton, off the A198. 27 miles north-east of Edinburgh, on the A1-A198.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, October 9:30-4:30pm, November to March Saturday to Wednesday 9:30-4:30pm.

There is a car park.


Tantallon Castle pictures and large castle map
Tantallon Castle Picture 1Tantallon Castle Picture 2Tantallon Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved