NT 277-708 Midlothian Scotland
Inch House is an early 17th century stone L-plan tower house, founded by James Winram. Of three storeys, a garret and vaulted basement chambers, the original entrance was in the square stair tower in the re-entrant angle. Originally on an island and possibly incorporating an earlier building, the low-lying surrounding area was flooded by Braid Burn. A two storey north-eastern extension was added to The Inch in 1634 and it passed to the Gilmours of Craigmillar in the mid 17th century. They added a west wing in the 18th century and the main block was extended and remodelled in the late 19th century.