NT 543-821 East Lothian Scotland
Fenton Tower is a mid 16th century stone L-plan tower house, founded by Patrick Whytelaw. Built on a commanding rocky eminence and of four storeys and a garret, the entrance in the re-entrant angle leads to a vaulted basement. The wing is crowned by a battlement with open rounds and contains a wide turnpike stair to the first floor hall. In 1591 when owned by Sir John Carmichael, King James VI took refuge in the tower after escaping a rebel army in Fife. In 1650 Cromwell's commander in Scotland, General Monk sacked the tower, which then lay in ruins for over three centuries. In 1998, the tower was restored back into a dwelling house and excavations revealed the position of a building and the wall of a courtyard. Nearby is Sydserf House and 2 miles north-west is Dirleton Castle.
Fenton Tower is located south of Kingston, off the B1347. 21 miles north-east of Edinburgh, on the A1-B1347.
The site is privately owned and offers, exclusive use of the castle and landscaped gardens, a wedding ceremony or bed and breakfast accommodation, check website for details. The tower is visible from the road.
There is a car park.