NT 323-636 Midlothian Scotland
Dalhousie Castle was originally an early 13th century stone fortress, founded by the Ramsay family. Standing on the west bank of the River South Esk, the only remains of this castle are its enormously thick foundation walls and vaults. In the mid 15th century, a four storey keep and courtyard castle, with a large flanking drum tower on the north-east angle of a high curtain wall, was built on the site. In the early 17th century, a stair-tower was added to the keeps re-entrant angle, to make a L-plan and additions of 1825 have now completely cover the courtyard. Originally encased by a deep dry ditch, machicolations and the raising mechanism of the drawbridge can still be seen above the main entrance. The castle was successfully defended against King Henry IV in 1400 but was occupied by Cromwell in 1648. 3 miles west is Rosslyn Castle and 4 miles south-east is Borthwick Castle.
Dalhousie Castle is located south-east of Bonnyrigg, off the B704. 9 miles south-east of Edinburgh, on the A7-B704.
The site is owned by von Essen hotels and access is restricted to guests with reservations for an overnight stay, a wedding ceremony or dining in the restaurant.
There is a car park.