HomePage Path
House of the Binns
NT 051-786 West Lothian Scotland

House of the BinnsHouse of the Binns was originally a 15th century stone three storey manor house and courtyard fortress, founded by James Meldrum of the Bynnis or his son Archibald. Possibly standing on a Pictish site, the courtyard house was of east and west blocks, joined by a northern rectangular range, flanked by two low towers. In 1612-30, Thomas Dalyell absorbed the house to make a U-plan Renaissance mansion of two-and-a-half storeys and a garret, flanked by two northern stair turrets. In 1621, a Laigh Hall was created out of the original cellar in the main block and the raising its ceiling, squashed the principal floor. In the late 17th century, General Sir Tam Dalyell further extended the house, with more rooms being added in the mid 18th century. In 1812, the crow-stepped gables and pointed turrets were replaced by the most fashionable crenellations. A mile north is Blackness Castle.


Street Map

House of the Binns is located south-east of Mannerston, off the A904. 15 miles west of Edinburgh, on the A90-A904.

The site is owned by The National Trust for Scotland and the estate is open daily, closing at dusk. The house is open, Saturday to Wednesday June to September 2:00-5:00pm.

There is a car park.


House of the Binns pictures and large castle map
House of the Binns Picture 1House of the Binns Picture 2House of the Binns Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved